Monday, October 14, 2013

The struggle with PASSION

I'm interested in so many things. Building things, taking things apart, up-cycling, acting, singing, nice dress shoes...

Seriously.

So I've always struggled with the question, "What do you want to be when you grow up?" I never had an answer to that, and to this day, I really still don't.

First of all, what does "Grow up." mean? In my brain, and I'm willing to bet in yours, I'm still 23 or 24, even though I am now twice that age. I have more responsibilities, own a house (well, the bank does anyway) run my own freelance company and work a day job at a respectable college.

Is that grown up?

Being an actor and a voice talent is where I've ended up, not through any pursuit of passion, it just all fell into place. My technical background of theater brought me to radio, radio brought me into staged readings, then I was on stage in a show then voicing commercials. It all flowed.

Dilbert

I recently saw an interview with Scott Adams, the creator of Dilbert. And I realized, that my varied background, has allowed me to succeed in what I do TODAY. And today, will help me move into what tomorrow brings.

Passion can grow from success.  For me, curiosity feeds an interest, that interest will feed some research and perhaps even an experiment. The worst that can happen is that I'll fail. But at least I TRIED.

Do What You Love?

I've heard from a couple sources, to "Follow your passion, and the money will follow." or, (and this is my worst problem) "Focus, and become the best at that one thing."

There are not enough hours in the day to do what I want to do! People who say, "I'm bored." I do not understand.

Passion

Ok, back to passion. It's a struggle! It's hard for me to define what I'm "Passionate" about. I like good wine. Enjoy a motorcycle ride through the fall colors but I'm not a sports fan. I don't follow any sport or team to get all cranked up about. Pirates win! Pirates lose! Meh, who cares. I do like superhero movies and I'm a big Star Wars fan, but am I willing to get into an argument about Jar-Jar? Nah. Me no think so. Is that passion?

As I get better and better at this voice and acting thing, I can see how I can begin to focus on it more and more. But to have it be my one thing? I can see how if I focused, I could become spectacular at it.


Oy.  Can't do it. Focus on ONE THING? but what about the rest of the cool things?! Where would I be today if I focused on just one thing? Who knows?!


But I'm willing to bet, I wouldn't be as happy. And I really do love a well polished pair of dress shoes, and I'm a big fan of shoe trees. (Don't even start me talking about watches... oooo a Submariner!)

No comments:

Post a Comment