Monday, June 16, 2014

One Bowl

This is a post I've been meaning to write for a while.

It SORT OF has to do with V.O. work as I'm in the middle of a 30 pound challenge for FaffCon 7. I can't make FaffCon 7 due to a scheduling conflict, however I have been carrying around an extra 30 to 40 pounds of weight that I can certainly afford to lose.

Wait, Monk, you're giving weight loss tips?


Um. kinda.

I have this working theory that we eat too much. We eat too much for our level of activity and personally I eat to quickly. I can finish a meal before you even think about starting. NOM it's gone.

So the old tried and true, reduce calories and increase exercise, it sells magazines and books every day. All different renditions of the same thing. Cut down in the intake of calories, increase the burning of calories, the result is a reduction in overall weight.

Those calories are sneaky, THEY'RE IN EVERYTHING! And you have to make smart choices of where you want those calories to come from. I'm not going to give up a glass of wine or two at the end of the day. (aprox 175 calories for ONE 6oz glass of wine!)

Ok ok. So we limit the intake of calories, I'm aiming for a day of 1300-1500 calories with a morning walk.

What does that mean? A sausage egg McMuffin with a hash brown is 570 calories according to the chart at the drive up. Ok, not bad, I'm reserving calories for those two glasses of wine brings me up to 920 calories for the day. That's not including lunch or dinner! YIPES.

No egg McMuffin. 


How about an egg and toast for breakfast? The egg averages out to 70 calories, the toast dials in another 70 or so, (spelt whole grain) and a pat of butter is 36 calories. 176 calories!

There's room there to make this work!

So back to the One Bowl thought.


Not to big, not to small.
Excluding green vegetables, which do have calories but we're going to excuse them from being counted. And I mean kale, broccoli, lettuce, etc, not root vegetables like carrots or potatoes. I think it takes more energy to break down celery or cucumber than you get out of it. I don't have scientific proof, but really it's just fiber and water, eat up.

Find a small bowl that fits comfortably in one hand.

One hand. Not a big cereal bowl. A bowl that just fits your fist. This is your meal bowl.

The protein and carbohydrate goes in here. Again, be careful, don't make it a bowl of ravioli! I'm talking brown rice and chicken or meat or fish. This is about portion control!

And even if it is a bowl of ravioli, it's One Bowl.

If you get hungry in a few hours, grab some vegetables and load up. This isn't hard, but put down the bag of chips, step away from the donut, and leave the 4 course dinner to special occasions.

Seriously!


People are having their stomachs pinched and stapled to lose weight. Pinch and staple that huge dinner plate!

Slow down, calm down, consume less, weigh less. One Bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment